Sunday, November 20, 2011

Interview with Magnus carlsen



When did you start playing chess?
Carlsen: I must have been five and a half or six years old. My father taught my oldest sister, Ellen, and me the rules. Unlike Ellen, I was not particularly interested; I was bad and soon stopped again. It was not until I was eight that I started occupying myself with chess again.

Your father is an ambitious club player. When did you first defeat him?
Carlsen: Just before my ninth birthday, in a game of lightning chess.

How often do you practice chess?
Magnus: That is almost impossible to measure. It can get quite intense when I prepare for and during tournaments. When I am at home and I am not participating in any tournaments, my training is very unsystematically.

Many football players use music to get in the mood before a game. Do you do that too before sitting down in front of the board?
Carlsen: Oh, yes. If I am feeling gloomy before a game, I listen to gloomy music.

What is your IQ?
Carlsen: I have no idea. I wouldn’t want to know it anyway. It might turn out to be a nasty surprise.

Of all your games, with which one are you most happy?
Magnus: I do not have one particular game that stands out – yet. But I was very happy with my 19-move victory against Sergei Dolmatov in Moscow (Aeroflot Open). I never thought it could be so easy to beat a player rated almost 2600.

What is your greatest strength as a chess player?
Magnus: I guess I am best in open positions where I am the one who has the possibilities to attack And I calculate pretty well, especially short tactical variations.

 Your greatest weakness as a chess player?
Magnus: I do believe that what I first and foremost need right now is experience. And I still have to work on avoiding getting into time trouble. I am told that I am good at keeping a straight face when I am in time trouble, but I still tend to panic – especially if I am starting to struggle after having a superior position.

Source: Chess base.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Magnus is great!

Popular Posts